June 14, 2012

Chipping away.

Have I mentioned I love Weight Watchers? Every time I used to see their slogan or hear "Because it works!" I would just say to myself yeah, right! But you know, it really really does work!! I've been on it for about 3 months and I have consistently lost weight each week. Maybe not a full pound each week but my average weekly loss is 1.4 pounds! Now to me that is huge! Every other diet/lifestyle change/whatever I've ever tried has not been this successful for this long. Ever. I find myself gaining confidence for the first time and thinking that hey, I actually CAN lose weight. Not only that but I can eat the foods I want and exercise and much or as little as I want. It still works if you follow the rules!

I sound like a commercial.

This week's weigh in I was sure I was going to have gained or only lost maybe 0.2 pounds. Unfortunately we had a death in the family that ended up in a 6 hour trip to Long Island (yay NYC traffic!) and consuming m&ms, snickers, and taco bell for "dinner" on the way home (yay gluten free road trips!). That had me worried enough right there. Then throw in a surprise trip to Applebee's (gag) that was unavoidable because it was for work on Monday and I was convinced no way I lost anything. Let me tell you, as much as I normally don't want to eat somewhere like Applebee's, holy crap is their food bad for you!!! It's difficult to try to find gluten free food in the first place, but then trying to find a "healthy" option out of those choices was near impossible. I settled on a chicken and shrimp dish and modified it a bit to get it under 20 points (I've never eaten that many points in one meal since I started WW). Their salads were in the upper 20s and 30s half size with no dressing!! It was disgusting. Anyway I made it through and stepped on the scale yesterday morning, buck naked (hey pj's must add at least a pound right??) and gasped in my surprise. I had lost another 1.2 pounds! Each pound I get away from 200 makes me so happy! It made my whole day. So in the end even though I used over half my weekly points in just 2 days I still lost. I guess it's true, you can eat those points and still lose. I had been very skeptical thus far of eating more than a few of those bonus points. I'm not planning on eating them up each week (I'm not sure I could, that's a lot of extra food!) but it's nice to know they are there in case of cross state family emergency or horrid work dinners.

On another front I've been slacking on exercising a lot lately. I keep making up excuses (these mainly feature "I'm so tired I just can't possibly exercise after work" or some such variation) and putting it off. Both my Zumba classes got canceled this week (my only structured exercise) and instead of doing something else one day I just lazed around. At least yesterday I took Sookie to the park and walked with my mom and her dog for 3.57 miles. It was a lot of fun and we are going to start to do it once a week now that she is on summer vacation. So next week and the remaining portion of this week I'm going to make a goal to exercise at least every other day. Walk the dogs, go for a run, Zumba, clean, whatever it is I'm going to do it! I know when I exercise I lose a lot more weight. Especially running. As a second part to this goal I will pick running back up. I loved it before I hurt my back and I will love it again now that my back is more or less healed!

Lately I've been feeling pretty down about this whole journey even though it's working and I'm shrinking. I have been finding Vemily making her biting, snarky comments more than normal and I hate it. I look at myself in the mirror and I can't see anything positive about myself. I just focus completely on the negative. I still look fat and gross in my head and I still can't pull off the outfits I want to wear or whatever is bothering me that day. So in addition to chipping away at the fat, I am going to make a conscious effort to chip away at Vemily's strong hold she has on my brain and self confidence. Every time I think a bad thought about myself I'm going to think a good thought to counter act. If I say I'm fat, I'll say I'm smart. If I say I'm ugly, I'll say I'm loving and caring. If I can't stop the bad thoughts maybe I can at least water them down with good thoughts too.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment